Can you get remarried before your divorce case is over?

By Marissa A. Oxman, Esq. California only permits people to have one spouse at a time.  So, when spouses are going through a divorce and one spouse wants to marry someone else, the only way to legally remarry is to file a motion to bifurcate and terminate marital status in the divorce case. “Bifurcate” is […]

What happens when child and spousal support is not paid?

By Marissa A. Oxman, Esq. Failing to follow a court order should always be taken seriously.  But it is especially serious when the order is a California order for child and spousal support.  California law requires child support be paid before any other debt (before the mortgage, credit card, or car payment), and California is […]

Dissolution, Legal Separation, Nullity – What’s the Difference?

By Marissa A. Oxman, Esq. Someone looking to end a marriage needs to make a decision about what kind of case to file. The form that must be filed to start a divorce proceeding in California (the FL-300 published by the Judicial Counsel of California) has three check boxes at the top.  Each represents a […]